Saturday 12 April 2014

So What About this ZEAL thing?

Learned over the years that The Sisters of the Good Shepherd take a 4th vow of ZEAL.  WOW!  Incredible enough that they have 3 vows of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience….and so, what is this ZEAL?  

Surely ZEAL is not what most might consider a household word.  We know that the dictionary will define Zeal as fervor for a person, cause, or object; eager desire or endeavor; enthusiastic diligence; ardor.

Mary Euphrasia lived by this value and expressed this most profoundly shortly before her death when she said,  I was not the most attractive, intelligent or smart person;  I only loved and I loved with the strength of all my heart and soul.”  She defined Zeal as “Love in Action”.

I have had a tendency to use the synonym of passion to define Zeal when we talk among one another about CORE values of Good Shepherd.  Well I am not one to shy away from words of all kinds but ZEAL had me stumped a bit.

Well, I want to announce that I am undergoing a conversion of sorts.  In the past several months I have had cause to note some very special qualities in some of our colleagues.  Most notably those who have become the advocates for the use of Trauma Informed principles in our work.  I saw “Love in Action” in Halifax during their symposium on Trauma,  I saw it again in Angers when some of our folks who are embracing Sanctuary, Resilience and Risking Connections met together and spoke so passionately about the critical importance of establishing significant, trusting relationships with our young people and their families.  I saw our colleagues as fervent, and diligent in their profound desire to establish a sense of belonging and love in therapeutic alliances they work to create.  I saw “LOVE IN ACTION”.

Good Shepherd teachings from Mary Euphrasia, are founded on this sense of highly valued relationships.  “It is not enough that you love them, they must know they are loved” (SME).  She modelled a special way and gift of engagement with people.  One that most of us must work at diligently to achieve.  And yet it is most often expressed in the smallest, simplest gestures; a smile, walking with someone, asking them about their hopes and dreams, accompanying to appointments, praise and acknowledgement.  For so many years our great staff, along-side our sisters, have done these small things over and over.  They built wonderful alliances and relationships with those we serve.  Now we continue to express the depth of our dedication through new approaches which can only enhance our ability to demonstrate that care, compassion and cheerleading in important therapeutic relationships. These advocate leaders among us are taking us in the right direction!

I have truly loved watching this passion among our colleagues knowing that they are building something more attuned to that which Mary Euphrasia taught us so many years ago.  Their sense of importance and urgency is no less zealous than was Mary Euphrasia’s when she lead the birthing of a new congregation.


Yep, I always had a passion for this work…..now I think I have  the ZEAL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment